ENGLISH STREAM ADDITIONAL LANGUAGE: FRENCH
The French language has an important role within the NISL English Stream. Lessons are delivered to Reception students (2 half hour lessons per week)
right through to our Year 6 students (3 45minute lessons per week). A native French speaker, qualified and experienced teacher teaches the lessons.
During the academic year we follow the method ZIG ZAG, house of edition CLE International.
We also use ‘Francais Précoce’ on the Internet.
The three main goals of French lessons at NISL are:
- Children are able to communicate in French and express themselves confidently in everyday situations.
- Children are able to understand French through listening and reading
- Children are able to express themselves in French in a variety of situations in an understandable way orally as well as in writing.
The focus in Reception and Year 1 is mainly speaking and listening and expanding vocabulary through stories/songs. From Year 2 upwards;
the focus is more on phonic development, listening, reading and writing skills. Progress is assessed by continual observation.
The NISL does not cater for a transition to French International education. For parents who expect more French skills we can offer French afterschool.
Parents are expected to pay for these lessons.
DUTCH STREAM SECOND LANGUAGE: ENGLISH
The English language plays an important role within the NISL Dutch stream. Children are exposed to English inside and outside the school.
The groups 1 through to group 8 receive an English lesson 2 times a week for 60 minutes. A native English speaker teaches these lessons.
During the academic year we follow from groep 1 till 6 the Cambridge Primary as a Second Language. In groep 7 & 8 we follow the Cambridge Primary as a first Language
The curriculum is presented in five (5) content areas or “strands”. The learning outcomes in each strand for each successive stage are defined in terms of what learners should be able to do in English.
The five strands are: Reading, Writing, Use of English, Listening and Speaking.
- Nelson English Student Book
- Nelson English Work Book
- Nelson International Comprehension
The three main goals of English lessons at NISL are:
- Children are able to communicate in English and express themselves confidently in everyday situations.
- The children in our nursery and pre-reception are exposed to English on a daily basis through the presence of English- speaking teachers.
Children are able to understand English through listening and reading
- Children are able to express themselves in English in a variety of situations in a understandable way orally as well as in writing
The focus in group 1 and 2 is mainly on listening and speaking and expanding the vocabulary through stories, rhymes and songs. From group 3 onwards the focus is more on phonic development and listening,
reading and writing skills.
Progress is assessed by observation continually and from group 4 onwards through INCAS (Interactive Computerised Assessment System).